06/2017 – 12/2017
In this project, I’ve identified that many college students fail to exercise regularly for two reasons, fear of going alone and uncertainty about how to.
This project, Quick-Up is an application that allows students to find & create pick up games of club sports based on their availability and skill.
Below you’ll find my process in first identifying the problem, narrowing the target users with the use of personas then finally go through an iterative design process.
This project was for a course on Interaction Design at the University of Michigan.
Today, many college students exercise by participating in an organized sport. This creates a sense of rigidness and long-term commitment that does not fit within a student’s irregular schedule. In addition to this, intramural games do not consider the skill level of all players which makes it difficult for students to enjoy playing with similarly skilled people.
My design process has been anything but linear. I followed an iterative
process which allowed me to try a lot of designs often. By following key
principals from a participatory design method, I was able to involve
users and receive constant feedback to improve my final
Overall, the biggest problem I faced was early on in my process. My
problem statement targeted too large of a population with various
backgrounds. Therefore, I had to take a step back and focus on a
narrower problem statement.
The three areas of my design philosophy that I kept up within my design process were, focus on user needs, avoid user’s frustrations, and eliminate personal biases.
Considerations For the Future
Some things that had to be avoided were, creating solutions where users would be socially judged, exercising/playing alone, and getting bored with repetitive tasks.
I also had to try to avoid any of my own bias because that would
interfere with the results of the project. Which I had failed. So I
iterated and learned. Monetary rewards didn’t work. Additionally, I had to keep in mind that I am not my users and I cannot design for myself.
My goal was to create a solution that got students to exercise to lower their risk of cardiovascular disease. I realized that after testing my final prototype, there is an additional impact. That exercise could be fun and easy. With further development of this project, I would focus on testing the current features with more users.